Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tulsa Drillers / ONEOK Field

Baseball and apple pie are quintessentially American and if you haven’t checked out the fabulous ONEOK field and the Tulsa Drillers – well, what are you waiting for?

The Drillers are our very own minor league baseball team, currently affiliated with the Colorado Rockies.  The Drillers got their start way back in 1977 when a Lafayette team was transferred to Tulsa.  They were renamed the Tulsa Drillers (paying tribute to our oil industry) and installed at the old Drillers Stadium (15th & Yale).  Interesting side note – the Drillers Stadium was originally named the Robert B. Sutton Stadium to honor its chief benefactor, but in 1982 Robert was convicted of fraud.  Not wanting to glamorize a fraudster – the good people of Tulsa County renamed the facility Drillers Stadium.  Between you and me, I think it would have been cooler to leave the name as it was; a little bit of notoriety is always fun.

In 1998 the franchise began looking to relocate.  For a brief time Jenks was the front runner but in retrospect, that makes no sense.  The Jenks Drillers?  That doesn’t really have the same flair.  City officials finally got on board with keeping the Tulsa Drillers in Tulsa and in 2008 it was announced that a new facility would be built in the Greenwood district.  In April of 2008, the Tulsa Drillers played their first game in the now-christened ONEOK Field.  More than 8600 people came out to cheer on the Drillers and even though they lost to Corpus Christie, baseball fever was spreading like wildfire.
The new stadium is fantastic!  Its location helped spur the revitalization of downtown and works well for people wanting to have options before and after a game.  Every seat in the stadium is fabulous – you can watch the game with the beautiful Tulsa skyline as a backdrop.  They have water features and a play area for the youngsters, a grassy outfield if you want to catch a game “picnic style”, and they are adjacent to Fat Guys Burgers!  If you haven’t tried Fat Guys – go now!  The people at Fat Guy’s are putting out some of the best burgers I’ve ever tasted – but I digress. 
Throughout the summer you can take advantage of the different promotions!  They have Thirsty Thursday ($1 beer night), Bark in the Park, Pennant Giveaways, Bobble Head Nights, and every Friday home game – fireworks!  This is one of the best fireworks shows around (excluding 4th of July).  As an added bonus – on June 7th the fireworks show will coincide with the final laps of the Men’s Pro 1 race of Tulsa Tough.  This is probably one of the most exhilarating evenings in Tulsa – but I digress again. 
Basically the point here is to get yourself to a game.  Recently I attended a Friday night game and it was a perfect evening – not too hot, not chilly, a slight breeze, happy fans – just perfect!  We had great seats right behind the visitor’s dugout and even though the Driller’s lost, it was still a phenomenal evening. 
If you’re looking for something for the whole family, don’t waste another night at the movies – get outside, get some fresh air, eat some peanuts and hot dogs, just GO!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Problem: HP Printer not connecting to my laptop.

    I had an issue while connecting my 2 year old HP printer to my brother's laptop that I had borrowed for starting my own business. I used a quick google search to fix the problem but that did not help me.
    I then decided to get professional help to solve my problem. After having received many quotations from various companies, i decided to go ahead with Online Tech Repair (www.onlinetechrepairs.com).
    Reasons I chose them over the others:
    1) They were extremely friendly and patient with me during my initial discussions and responded promptly to my request.
    2) Their prices were extremely reasonable.
    3) They were ready and willing to walk me through the entire process step by step and were on call with me till i got it fixed.
    How did they do it
    1) They first asked me to state my problem clearly and asked me a few questions. This was done to detect any physical connectivity issues with the printer.
    2) After having answered this, they confirmed that the printer and the laptop were functioning correctly.
    3) They then, asked me if they could access my laptop remotely to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. I agreed.
    4) One of the tech support executives accessed my laptop and started troubleshooting.
    5) I sat back and watched as the tech support executive was navigating my laptop to spot the issue. The issue was fixed.
    6) I was told that it was due to an older version of the driver that had been installed.

    My Experience
    I loved the entire friendly conversation that took place with them. They understood my needs clearly and acted upon the solution immediately. Being a technical noob, i sometimes find it difficult to communicate with tech support teams. It was a very different experience with the guys at Online Tech Repairs. You can check out their website www.onlinetechrepairs.com or call them on 1-914-613-3786.
    Would definitely recommend this service to anyone who needs help fixing their computers.
    Thanks a ton guys. Great Job....!!

    ReplyDelete