Thursday, March 14, 2013

My New Favorite Thing....Lone Wolf Food Truck


And we’re back!  The winter months found me hibernating way more than I should have but Spring is right around the corner and it’s time to get the word out about what is going on in Tulsa and why it’s one of the best places to live.

This week’s installment is all about my new, most favorite thing in the whole, wide world – the Lone Wolf Food Truck.  Lone Wolf has been around since last September but lately it seems you can’t turn around and not hear about the fabulous French-inspired Vietnamese food that is coming out of this truck.  The staple items are the banh mi sandwich, kimchi fries, and beignets.

The traditional banh mi is so simple and amazing.  Take a freshly baked, crusty baguette, pile on a protein of your choice (pork, chicken, or, for my hippie, vegetarian friends - tofu), and add vegetables like pickled carrots and daikon radish, cucumbers, jalapenos, and cilantro.  Top with a creamy aioli and you hold in your hands a culinary masterpiece.  It is so fresh and full of flavor and unlike anything you’ve tasted before.  One sandwich is more than enough for two people, especially if you get an order of the kimchi fries and believe me when I say you MUST get the kimchi fries. 
Pork Banh Mi

As good as the banh mi is, it’s the fries that I dream about.  Seriously – they are THAT fantastic.  Take an order of hot fries, top with kimchi, cilantro, cheese, some thai chili aioli, and some candied bacon and you are about to dive into the most flavorful, most stupendous, most amazing order of fries you have ever experienced.  The first time I tried them, my date and I didn’t get more than 10 steps from the food truck before we ripped into them like a couple of starving hyenas.  It was almost embarrassing.  Almost. 
Kimchi Fries
Recently Lone Wolf has added Wing Sunday to the rotation.  On Sundays you can get an order of wings (sauce flavors vary, depending on the mood of the chef, but previous flavors have been Asian buffalo, habanera hellfire, and sweet and spicy BBQ) and let me say, they are just as good as you would expect!

You can usually find Lone Wolf parked by Soundpony most weekend nights (Main Street, just down from the Cain’s) and they’ve recently started a lunch service – but being a food truck and all, locations vary.  To get all the updates and information, “like” them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. 
 
I say this all the time and I will continue to spread the word – quit eating at chain restaurants, step out of your comfort zone, and support your local establishments!  The food is amazing, the people are friendly, and you’re helping to support your local economy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment