Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bountiful Baskets

When I started this blog, my intent was to highlight events/people/places that make Tulsa such a unique place to call home.  This week I’m going to stray from that just a wee bit and highlight something that I think is just fabulous, even if it’s not Tulsa-centric.  Besides – it’s my blog and I can do what I want.  Plus, if you're a loyal reader and don't live in the Tulsa area, consider this a special post just for you!

Some time ago my very dear, sweet, friend B. turned me on to a service called Bountiful Baskets.  Personally I found the name a little on the hokie side but honestly, what else are you going to call it.  Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op that operates throughout the US.  If you’re unfamiliar with a cooperative, it’s a really great concept.  A co-op is a group of people who pool their money (or resources) and work for the betterment of the group.  In this case, everyone is contributing towards the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables, purchased in bulk, directly from the supplier.  In most cases, the produce you receive is grown locally and because of this, the quality is so much greater than what is available to you from your local grocery store.  Most produce available at the neighborhood market has been shipped in from all over the world and has been sitting in cold storage.  It’s not bad but there are other options available to you.
Bountiful Baskets Food Co-Op (BBFC) is an all-volunteer organization with no contracts, no employees, and no hidden catches.  In participating, you have the opportunity to get fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables at a significant savings.  In addition to fruits and vegetables, you also have the opportunity to purchase “add-ons”.  The most common add-ons are:

Ø  Tropical Granola ($10) – a mixture of oats, honey, sugar, coconut oil, dried pineapple, dried papaya, and nuts
Ø  Assorted bread pack ($10) – three loaves of 9 grain bread, one loaf of hot cross buns, one baguette
Ø  Hostess Pack ($13) – the week I placed my order they were hoping for red potatoes, dill, avocado, yellow onion, rosemary, asparagus, radish, sage, celery
Ø  Minneola Tangerine ($19.50) – approximately 40 pounds

The most popular item is the standard basket.  The standard basket is half fruit, half vegetables and will run you $16.50.

I picked up my first standard basket last weekend and I have to say, I was super impressed.  It’s an efficient system with minimal waiting and the quality of produce I received was phenomenal.  My basket contained the following: 

Ø  Broccoli
Ø  Cauliflower
Ø  5 huge baking potatoes
Ø  3 large grapefruit
Ø  Asparagus
Ø  7 blood oranges – I love blood oranges and these have been so good
Ø  Bananas
Ø  Living Butter Lettuce
Ø  Cucumber
Ø  3 Yellow Onions
Ø  Pineapple!! – not gonna lie, I was over the moon about getting the pineapple.

I priced the items in my local grocery store and if I had purchased everything there, it would have cost me almost $30.  So not only is the quality better (I think) but the savings is significant!!  Between BBFC and my local Farmer’s Market, I’m not sure I’ll ever buy produce at the grocery store again. 

BBFC is a great way to get fresh, quality produce at significant savings.  And let’s be honest, unless you’re a vegetarian, chances are you are not eating enough fresh fruits and vegetables.  This is the perfect opportunity to start taking better care of yourself and get back on track with that New Year’s resolution you made three months ago.

Check out http://bountifulbaskets.org/ for all the details, locations, prices, ordering instructions and everything else you need to know.  I promise you will not be disappointed.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My daughter in Texas told me about this program, and I was dubious, UNTIL I went down to visit her last week and accompanied her to pick up her basket! We stayed to assist other volunteers, and I was SO VERY IMPRESSED with how appreciative, friendly and caring everyone was with one another! My daughter insists that she loves the challenge of finding new things in her basket, which she has not previously cooked; and also she feels the freshness and quality is amazing! At 75, I am considering joining the group, here in Tulsa! I was surprised to discover two or three pick-up locations already operating, here. Enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please fact-check Bountiful Baskets HQ.
    Bountiful Baskets does not appear to meet the international Cooperative Alliance's Principles of Cooperation. There's nothing wrong with the business model they have chosen to operate under. Local BB pick-up volunteers and groups are their own entity and separate from the administrators of the BB website and the BB credit card processors.

    However,
    can they verify what they write on their Bountiful Baskets website that they are a non-profit? Nothing in their FAQ tells me what happens to the money not used to pay for goods, shipping or credit card charges. In a Co-op that profit is shared with the members or the members decide what to do with it. Does just writing down on a website that you are non-profit qualify you as a non-profit?

    Arizona Incorporation papers
    http://starpas.azcc.gov/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/names-detail.p?name-id=15466984&type=CORPORATION

    Administratively dissolved.
    Same address as Kodiak Fresh Produce, in Phoenix.

    Conservatively guessing a few cents per basket not going to cover the cost of the goods, with hundreds of sites and probably thousands of baskets, that total dollar amount adds up. Who gets that, Kodiak or the founders?

    Not to mention Kodiak gets paid when the order is paid, by thousands of credit cards, with fees added for shipping and the credit card costs.

    There are weak Cooperative Enterprise Corporate identity laws in Arizona, Sierra Vista Food Coop in AZ had to incorporate in MN, look that up at Sierra Vista's FAQ online.

    There's nothing wrong with the business model they choose, but to believe that no profit is made at their AZ HQ when they rely on "volunteers" at their pick-up sites is a stretch. Especially then there isn't a verification one can source from a third-party to confirm at their website.

    Bountiful Baskets have not answered my queries at their website about their Co-op status and they delete my posts and banned me from their Facebook page for asking about their Co-op status under the ICA Principles.

    Sources for Cooperative Identity
    1. Food Coop Initiative
    2. International Cooperative Alliance
    3. National Cooperative Business Association
    4. National Cooperative Grocers Association
    5. Consumer Cooperative Management Association
    6. Other groups with Food Co-op in their name who
    link to the ICA Principles of Cooperation

    ReplyDelete