Monday, January 28, 2013

Tulsa Flea Market


Everyone loves to find a bargain, a steal, that hidden treasure and there’s no better place to start the treasure hunt than the Tulsa Flea Market.  The Tulsa Flea Market has been a staple at the Fairgrounds since 1972.  Family owned and operated, it is a one-of-a-kind shopping experience like no other in Tulsa. 

On a recent Saturday I braved the crowds to see what I could find.  Although the flea market is usually held in the Exchange Center, this particular Saturday found us in the Super Duty Arena.  Although this space is much smaller than the Exchange Center – the selection was still just as great.

I think one of the things that always amazes me is what people will actually try to sell.  I mean, do I really need to spend $5 on balls of yarn?  Can’t I just go to the local hobby shop and buy new yarn for the same price?  But I digress.  One of the first booths we explored had a wide variety of Asian art, figurines, and sculptures.   Another popular item we found were old LP’s.  These have made quite the comeback in recent years and there is no telling what you will find.  I found a Pointer Sisters, a Michael McDonald, and a Johnny Cash!
 

We rambled on and just took our time looking through all the booths.  Old fashioned calculators seemed to be popular, along with ice picks.  Ice picks?  Go figure.  But seriously – there were a ton of them for sale.  I found a nifty little portable record player that called to mind an old one I used to have ages ago.  Unfortunately for me, it was already spoken for.  Another gem we found was a set of old school lockers.  With a little elbow grease and some fresh paint, these would have been spectacular! 
 

All in all, it took us about an hour to stroll through the whole market.  If you don’t have anything to do on a Saturday morning, I highly suggest checking out the Tulsa Flea Market!  It’s fun, it’s entertaining, and you never know what you’ll find.

By the way – the one thing I wanted more than any other (but it had already been purchased) was this picture.  I don’t know why.
 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the painting! It makes you smile every time! :)Rebecca

    ReplyDelete